UV light and the environment

All conventional UV lamps (low- or medium-pressure UV lamps) typically use between 5-200 mg of mercury per lamp. The Minamata Convention, which regulates the emissions and releases of mercury to the environment, doesn’t prohibit mercury-based lamps for disinfection purposes. Nonetheless, there’s a growing trend toward transitioning to non-mercury alternatives.


PureFize light sources contain no mercury. No materials or substances harmful to the environment are used during manufacturing. The light sources have long lifespan, and the entire system can be treated just like ordinary electronic waste.

Mercury and the environment

Mercury (Hg), also known as quicksilver, is a naturally occurring element found in rocks in the earth’s crust. It is released to the atmosphere from natural sources and through anthropogenic processes. Once released, it persists in the environment and becomes concentrated as it rises up the food chain, reaching its highest level in large predator fish. High exposure to mercury is a serious risk to human health and to the environment.

In 2013, the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) initiated the Minimata Convention on Mercury. The convention entered into force in 2017 and has been ratified by more than 100 countries. Although it does not specifically prohibit the manufacture and sales of UV mercury lamps, it encourages a more widespread adoption of other technologies.

UV light and ozone

The shortest UV wavelengths are referred to as VUV or Vacuum UV light. Some UVC devices produce light in these wavelengths. Unfortunately, VUV also generates ozone, which is effective as germicide but has a variety of adverse health effects.

PureFize does not involve VUV and thus provides highly effective disinfection without producing any harmful ozone.

If you have any questions or would like more information about UV technology in general or PureFize® in particular, please contact us.